Whether you’re a union member or not, Canada’s labour movement has made your life better. Often in ways that are not immediately apparent to you. But nearly every right you have as a Canadian employee is thanks to unions, including:
- Paid vacations
- Minimum wage laws
- Maternity and parental leave
- Health care
- Occupational standards legislation (including days off and vacation coverage)
- Employment Insurance
- Occupational health and safety protections
- Statutory Holidays
We think these are some great reason to say “Unions, F@#k Yeah!”
Here’s the thing
The simple truth is that union members are often better off than their non-union counterparts. In fact, union members:
- Get paid more
- Get paid for all the hours they work
- Experience a smaller wage gap for women
- Get more time off
- Have better health and wellness benefits
- Have better pension security
- Have more rights at work
This is called the Union Advantage.
But that’s not all. Today, unions are continuing their fight, fighting for equal pay and opportunities regardless of job, race, gender, sexual orientation or ability.
So, F@#K Yeah, we’re taking some time to brag here.
Still don’t believe us?
The contest is over and the winners announced, but you can still take the challenge and see how you’ve benefited from the work of Canada’s unions. Just answer a few questions. Provide us with your email address and you might get a t-shirt.... Which would mean you benefitted from a union again. How ‘bout that?